On Monday, Sept. 29, the roundabout at Main Street officially will open to traffic, marking a major milestone on the State Highway (SH) 133 Carbondale Safety Improvements project, which began in May 2014 and is slated for completion in mid-November 2014.
Along with the roundabout, West Main Street will reopen following a closure that began in early August.
Initially, one lane of traffic will be open through the new roundabout. Once the project is complete, the roundabout will feature two lanes running north and south on SH 133, and one lane east and west on Main Street.
Impacts to Commuters and Pedestrians
To accommodate upcoming road construction, travelers can expect the following impacts beginning Monday:
- Colorado Avenue will close at SH 133, and the RFTA bus stop on Colorado Avenue will be relocated to East Main Street.
- There will be no access to the Park-n-Ride from SH 133. However, commuters can access the Park-n-Ride via Colorado Avenue from either 8th Street or 12th Street.
- Motorists should use West Main Street to access the 7-Eleven Store.
- City Market access from SH 133 will be closed, and shoppers can use West Main Street and Hendrick Drive. Motorists can still make right turns onto SH 133 when leaving the City Market parking lot.
- These closures and access impacts will be in place for approximately two weeks.
- To ensure their safety, pedestrians should use the signed crosswalks and sidewalks in the roundabout, instead of the crossing at the intersection of SH 133 and Colorado Avenue
Paving Scheduled Next Week
Paving operations also are scheduled to begin Tuesday, Sept. 30, along SH 133 from Roaring Fork High School to Cowen Drive, and will be completed in approximately two weeks. The road will remain open, and motorists should plan extra time into their travels as delays are expected.
Paving on the southern end of the project, from Main Street to the high school, will put traffic into an alternating, one-way pattern. A lane shift will be in effect when paving is on the north end of SH 133, between Cowen Drive and Main Street.
For More Information
If you have questions about the project, please leave a message on the project hotline at 970-688-4988 or email us. You will receive a response within 24 hours on business days.
SH 133 Carbondale Safety Improvements Project
Public Information Team